Monday 30 January 2012

A review of UNHOOKED

A review of UNHOOKED.


"CG, I found it a compelling read. And I say that not to blow smoke up your arse, but because its true. I like your style, I find it earthy, articulate, intelligent and with a consistent theme of "feet on the ground", you manage to keep keep it gripping, shocking even, without saying things just for effect.

You also add some dimensions I didn't expect, let me explain.

Nearly every reader will know this is a story of a reformed drug addict, alcoholic, prostitute... etc. Bet when you explained in your early days of rehab your other addiction (traits) for sexual attention to feel loved, valued etc. Well that surprised me, I felt I was getting a genuine, full blown insight into the workings of a mind of someone trying to come to terms with all the horrors of where her mind had become.

Another thing I found very stylish and another reason why I love your style is you get the balance just right in your use of language. The majority is you speaking as an articulate author, but you throw in just enough slang to keep it real but not too much to put the reader off and therefore don't lose the intelligent theme. I mean this is a worthy, clever thesis on the mind, the psychology of an addicts mind, and the goblins therein.

Another and very clever area this stylish theme comes across is how you deal with the sexual themes as they emerge. I imagine it would be very easy, forgive me for saying, because of your background, to fall into "titillation" which you avoid very skillfully..! You address the sexual energy but don't ever indulge it in... very smart. In fact the only time there is any explicit sex is very brief after you have left the centre and reunite with Leon. What I am trying to say is that you keep the readers respect the whole way through, its a very fine balance which, in my view you hit just perfectly. As I said. honesty but not indulgence.

I suppose the only ... and its not negative.. its just how it made me feel.. wobbly bit is that at times I found it so brutally honest and insightful there were moments when I found it quite harrowing.

This may be complicated to explain but the unintended consequence (of good intent) is there are some who may be put off by the horror of rehab and therefore not dare face it ... if they have read this book. BUT my bet is that there will be far more (me included) who will read this and pull there shit together so as to never have to fall as low as you went and go through what you have been through. Does that make sense? It is meant as a positive. I have addictive traits, which I can bore you with another time, maybe that's why I found some bits so harrowing and powerful. "

Jeremy


UNHOOKED
, is currently available in WHSmith's in UK airports ONLY (promotional/publishing-business purposes. don't ask) It is officially released on March 1st onto the high street and will then be available through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unhooked-Rehab-London-Call-Girl/dp/1845967968/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327922497&sr=1-3